Officials and scientists at the German Economic Institute.
President Arndt Günter Kirchhoff
Arndt Günter Kirchhoff, born in Essen in 1955, is Managing Partner and CEO of KIRCHHOFF Automotive Holding GmbH & Co. KG. Headquartered in Iserlohn in North-Rhine Westphalia, with a workforce of some 10,500 and an annual turnover of € 1,8 bn, the group is one of the most important suppliers of components to the automotive industry. After studying commercial and mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Arndt Kirchhoff was first head of central order processing at Deutsche Babcock Werke AG, before in 1990 becoming Managing Partner of the KIRCHHOFF Group.
Arndt Kirchhoff has for many years been actively involved with business organisations. Among other positions he is on the presiding committees of the Confederation of German Industry (BDI) and the Confederation of German Employers’ Associations (BDA), on the executive committees of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) and is president of Metall NRW, the employers’ association of the metalworking industry in North-Rhine Westphalia.
- Dr. Eckart John von Freyend
- Dr. Hans-Dietrich Winkhaus
- Arndt Günter Kirchhoff (President), KIRCHHOFF Automotive Holding GmbH & Co. KG
- Wolf Matthias Mang (Vice President and Treasurer), Arno Arnold GmbH
- Markus Beumer (Vice President), Arbeitgeberverband des privaten Bankgewerbes
- Dr. Anno Borkowsky (Vice President), Mitglied des Vorstands Lanxess AG
- Ingo Kramer (Vice President), J. Heinr. Kramer Holding GmbH
- Hildegard Müller (Vice President), Präsidentin Verband der Automobilindustrie e.V.
- Prof. Randolf Rodenstock (Vice President), Optische Werke G. Rodenstock GmbH & Co. KG
- Steffen Kampeter (Member of the Presidium), Bundesvereinigung der Deutschen Arbeitgeberverbände e.V.
- Dr. Joachim Lang (Member of the Presidium), Bundesverband der Deutschen Industrie e.V.
- Prof. Dr. Michael Hüther (Member of the Presidium), Institut der deutschen Wirtschaft Köln e.V.
- Bertram Brossardt, Managing Director VBM - Verband der Bayerischen Metall- und Elektro-Industrie e. V. (Association of the Bavarian Metal and Electrical Industry e. V.)
- Peer-Michael Dick , Managing Director SÜDWESTMETALL Verband der Metall- und Elektroindustrie Baden-Württemberg e.V. (Association of the Metal and Electrical Industry Baden-Württemberg e.V.)
- Dr. Thorsten Diercks, Managing Director Vereinigung Rohstoffe und Bergbau e. V. (Raw Materials and Mining Association e. V.)
- Dr. Nico Fickinger, Managing Director NORDMETALL - Verband der Metall- und Elektro-Industrie e.V. (Association of the Metal and Electrical Industry e.V.)
- Horst Gabriel, Managing Partner Ernst Ludwig Emde GmbH
- Stefan Genth, Managing Director HDE Handelsverband Deutschland (German Trade Association)
- Dr. Wolfgang Große Entrup, Managing Director Verband der Chemischen Industrie (Association of the Chemical Industry)
- Dr. Christopher Grünewald, Managing Partner Grünewald Papier GmbH & Co.KG
- Wolfram Hatz, President der bayerischen Metall- und Elektro-Arbeitgeberverbände bayme vbm (Bavarian metal and electrical employers' associations)
- Joachim Heym, General Manager Schunk Ingenieurkeramik GmbH
- Thomas Kaeser, Chairman of the Board Kaeser Kompressoren SE
- Dr. Erwin Kern, Chairman of the Board Kies & Beton AG Baden-Baden
- Peter Körner, Geschäftsführer Caterpillar Energy Solutions GmbH
- Dr. Uwe Mazura, Managing Director Gesamtverband textil+mode (General Association textile+fashion)
- Georg Müller, Bayer AG BAG-HRO HR Germany
- Wolfgang Niemsch, General Manager Lanico-Machinenbau Otto Niemsch GmbH
- Jürgen Peschel, General Manager Smurfit Kappa GmbH
- Dirk Pollert, Managing Director HESSENMETALL
- Johannes Pöttering, Hauptgeschäftsführer, Landesvereinigung der Unternehmensverbände NRW
- Ingolf Prüfer, SÜDWESTMETALL Verband der Metall- und Elektroindustrie Baden-Württemberg e.V. (Association of the Metal and Electrical Industry Baden-Württemberg e.V.)
- Angelique Renkhoff-Mücke, Vizepräsidentin Vereinigung der Bayerischen Wirtschaft, Vorstandsvorsitzende WAREMA Renkhoff SE
- Stefan Schnell, Senior Vice President BASF SE
- Dr. Klaus-Peter Stiller, General Manager Bundesarbeitgeberverband Chemie e.V. (Federal Employers' Association for the Chemical Industry)
- Ludovic Subran, Chief Economist Allianz SE
- Günter Tissen, Managing Director Verein der Zuckerindustrie (Sugar Industry Association)
- Dr. Sven Vogt, General Manager Kautschuk-Kunststoff-Technik GmbH
- Joachim von Schlenk, Chairman of the Board Carl Schlenk AG
- Dr. Wolfgang Weber, Chairman of the Management Board of the Zentralverbands Elektrotechnik- und Elektronikindustrie e.V. (German Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers' Association)
- Oliver Wittke, Hauptgeschäftsführer Zentraler Immobilien-Ausschuss e.V.
- Oliver Zander, Managing Director Gesamtmetall - Die Arbeitgeberverbände der Metall- und Elektro-Industrie (Gesamtmetall - The Employers' Associations of the Metal and Electrical Industry)
Director Prof. Dr. Michael Hüther
Born in Düsseldorf in 1962, Michael Hüther studied business sciences and mediaeval and modern history at the University of Giessen from 1982 to 1987. The subject of his subsequent doctoral thesis was "Integrated tax transfer systems for the Federal Republic of Germany – normative conception and empirical analysis". After a spell as a research assistant, in 1995 he became Secretary General of the German Council of Economic Experts (head of the Council’s Scientific Staff). In 1999 he moved to the DekaBank in Frankfurt am Main as Chief Economist and later became the bank’s Head of Economics and Communication. In 2001 he was appointed Honorary Professor of the EBS Business School in Oestrich-Winkel in Hesse. In 2004 he took up his current post as Director and member of the presiding committee of the German Economic Institute (IW). He also holds positions on the supervisory boards of many companies, foundations and other organisations. For further details of his positions and publications, see his profile page.
Research Advisory Council
The Research Advisory Board consists of six high-level, independent scientists and researchers. They monitor and provide advice on the Institute’s research, focusing on further strengthening the methodology and empirical research design. With its Research Advisory Board, the German Economic Institute intends to maintain and continuously improve the quality of its research.
Prof. Dr. Detlef Fetchenhauer (top middle)
- Chair of Economic and Social Psychology at the Institute of Sociology and Social Psychology (ISS) at the University of Cologne
- More on the website of the University of Cologne
Prof. Bernd Fitzenberger, Ph.D. (top right)
- Chair of Business and Economis at the School of Business and Economics
- Chair of Econometrics at the Humboldt University of Berlin
- Read more on the website of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Prof. Dr. Anke Hassel (top left)
- Professor of Public Policy at the Hertie School, Berlin
- More on the website of the Hertie School
Prof. Dr. Justus Haucap (bottom left)
- Director of the Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE) at the Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf
- More on the website of the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
Prof. Dr. Ursula Renold (bottom right)
- Full Professor of Educational Systems at ETH Zurich
- Director of the Center on the Economics and Management of Education and Training Systems (CEMETS)
- President of the Board of the University of Applied Sciences FHNW
- Honorary Professor for Vocational and Business Education at the HdBA
Prof. Dr. Jörg Rocholl (bottom middle)
- President and Deutsche Bank Professor for Sustainable Finance, ESMT Berlin
- Read more on the ESMT website