The Big Data Analytics Research Unit looks at the opportunities offered by analyses of Big Data . Read more about the focus of this research group.
Big Data Analytics
Digital sensors, the Internet of Things and social platforms are among the phenomena which nowadays generate a constant stream of new data. As the volume of this data increases at an ever-faster pace, more and more use is being made of Big Data analyses, which allow an unprecedented potential to be exploited in many areas of the economy. However, the generation and meaningful use of this wealth of information requires special technologies, approaches and systems. Our Big Data Analytics team tackles various aspects of Big Data with a focus on economic issues.
- We specialise in the processing of structured and unstructured data generated by new methods and technologies. These include internet search queries, content from websites (job advertisements, invitations to tender, newspapers, prices) and information from social media.
- Application to economic issues of Big Data methods such as machine learning with deep learning, data mining, natural language processing, time series analysis, etc.
- Application of Big Data to business cycle research
- Augmenting official statistics, for example for the labour market
- Data economics including context-dependent economic analysis of law
- Examples of current research
- The Big Data Cooperation Cluster uses a wide range of analytical methods and approaches. In principle, Big Data methods can be applied to all pertinent economic issues. A typical example is the use of text analysis to analyse networks as in the case given here referring to the German players in Covid 19 research.
Digital Training: A question of Technology, Resources or Motivation?
The degree to which companies in Germany have digitalised their vocational training, if at all, is influenced by a variety of factors.
How companies use ChatGPT
ChatGPT is currently very popular. The AI can answer questions in seconds, summarize entire texts or create programming code. On the one hand, there are many advantages for the economy and society, on the other hand, experts warn of dangers and call for regulation. It is therefore interesting to see whether and for what purposes companies are already using ChatGPT.
Administrative digitization in Germany
The digitization of public administration is making almost no progress in Germany. In a European comparison, the country continues to rank in the lower midfield in terms of e-government.
Do Differences in Data Management Help to Explain Persistent Productivity Differences Between Western and Eastern Germany?
Since the mid-1990s the economies of the five states of ex-communist Eastern Germany have been converging only slowly with the rest of the Republic, though the process has not come to a complete halt.